Sep 16 2008
Meatball which we called “Bakso” in Indonesia is one of the most favorite cuisine in Indonesia, which is served in many ways. Normally meatball is served like soup in a bowl with the noodles, tofu, vegetables, steamed or fried siomay, wanton, etc.
Every country have their own variety in making and serving the meatball depending on their food culture. In Kolkata, there is a place where we can find meatball or fishball. It is located in central Kolkata which is near to Poddar Court. That is a very busy area and very crowded. But if we go in the morning at about 6 – 7 am, we will find small Chinese market and majority people who go there for shopping are the Chinese people who have settled in Kolkata since a very long time.
In this market, we can find tofu, siomay, pao, wide noodles, sprout, etc. Really… really the taste and the good smell which I was familiar with . By 8 am, this market will start disappearing and this road will be turned to busy road with no trace to the market at all. One day, I arrived at 7.30 am in this market and the tofu was finished, I was quite disappointed, but it was soon recovered when I saw a lady selling meatball and fishball. And there were still some sellers selling siomay and pao. So, basically, I have to be here atleast by 7 am before this market started disappearing… funny isn’t it??
This is how I made the chicken meat ball:
- 400 grams boneless chicken
- 2 pcs garlic (big size)
- 1 pcs small onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbs starch or corn flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 litre water
- 1 pcs egg (remove the egg yolk)
- Onion leaves to garnish
- a pinch of food seasoning
- 1 tbs oil
How to make:
- Place the chicken, 1 pcs garlic, onion and salt in food processor. Process until smooth.
- Put the processed chicken in a bowl and mix with the egg and flour. Knead the dough and roll the dough into small balls
- Boil the water
- Add the chicken balls and boil until the balls float to the top
- Drain the balls
- Heat the oil
- Crush 1 pcs of garlic and fry the garlic
- when the good smell comes out and the color turn golden, add the stocks (the water which was used to boil the chicken balls), let it boiled
- Add the salt, pepper and food seasoning
- Add the chicken balls and garnish with onion leaves
The chicken meatball soup is now ready to be served . What an easy way to cook. This meatball soup can also be served with siomay or wanton, whichever you like.