Sep 03 2008
When the first time I came to India, I was quite surprise whenever me and hubby visited Chinese restaurant. Most of the menus have been innovated as per Indian taste. I never find tofu in any Chinese restaurant not even in a big Chinese restaurant, in spite they have change it with paneer which is made from cow milk and which is quite similar with cottage cheese. I will write the article about paneer menu in my future recipes
One of the famous Chinese food in India beside chowmein is Manchurian, which I have never seen in my life before. I think I quite understand that all these changes were to adapt the food with people’s taste and culture. For example, in Indonesia, some or basically most of Chinese foods use beef in their menu and mostly are non vegetarian. But in India, majority of the people don’t eat beef and some culture prevent the people to eat meat.
Chili potato is commonly found in Chinese restaurants in India. Sometimes I wonder the history of this recipe and how it came to India, if anyone of you know the history of chili potato please let me know. In most of the restaurant, when you are placing the order, the waiters would ask the question if you want it to be gravy or dry . At first I was quite surprise when the waiter asked me this question, because frankly speaking, no waiter ever ask me if I want my food to be dry or gravy . Anyhow, we sometimes ordered dry and sometimes gravy, because my husband likes to have liquid with his steam rice.
To make all the story short I tried to make my own variety of Chili potato and my hubby loves it.
- 200 grm potatoes, peel and cut 1 cm lengthwise.
- 1 pcs medium size of bell pepper or capsicum, cut lengthwise
- About 100 grm onion leaves, cut about 5 cms length
- 1 pcs big onion, cut lengthwise
- 2 pcs garlic, make a rough paste
- 2 pcs Chilies, cut roughly
- Salt to taste, in this one I used 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar, optionally you can use food seasoning
- 1 1/4 tbs soya sauce
- 1 1/2 tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp corn flour or starch
How to make:
- Deep fry the potatoes until it is cooked and keep aside
- Heat 1 tbs oil
- Add garlic and fry only for few seconds
- Add the capsicum or the bell pepper, onion and chili, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the fried potatoes and mix well
- Add the salt, sugar/food seasoning, soya sauce and chili sauce, mix well for 4-5 minutes in medium flame
- Mix the water with the corn flour
- Add the mixture of water and corn flour to the cooking and mix well
- Cook until the water boiled and the gravy thicken
- Add the onion leaves
- Add more salt if required
- Serve hot with steamed rice