Sep 01 2008
Siomay is my favorite food, when I was still staying in Jakarta, I used to buy this almost everyday I really miss this food so bad, specially the Indonesian siomay which is eaten with peanut sauce.
Siomay is an Indonesian cuisine which is influence by Chinese people who have immigrated to Indonesia since a very long time. The word Siomay came from chinese word shaomai which is traditional chinese dumpling which we very well know as dim sum.
In Indonesia, siomay can be steamed along with tofu, cabbage, potatoes and bitter gourd or bitter melon. Normally this cuisine is served or eaten with peanut sauce, sweet soya sauce and lime juice while normally dim sum can be eaten only by dipping the siomay in chilly sauce.
Siomay is basically a light meal and it can be found everywhere in Indonesia and normally each of the city has it’s own specially in serving or making siomay.
Below is siomay recipe which I have modified according to my taste. I have added garlic and pepper in the filling to give a hot feeling in the mouth.
500 gr prawn, peel and chopped or grind
1/4 pc garlic, make a paste
2 tbs corn flour or starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
100 gr flour
10 gr corn flour or starch
2 tsp butter
50 cc hot water
A pinch of salt
How to Make:
Mix all the filling ingredient
- Mix flour, corn flour/starch, butter and salt. Add the hot water little by little and keep mixing for about 15 minutes
- Keep it cool for about 10 minutes
- Take a small ball of the dough and flattened it by bottle or wooden roller
- Do the same for the rest of the dough
- Take one peace of the wanton skin, fill with the filling in the middle and fold it up wise and leave the top open
- Steam for about 20 minutes
- Serve hot with red pepper sauce or peanut sauce